Location: SE 02027 65669
Beever mine covers a number of veins in the area 550 metres East of Yarnbury. Work initially began in around 1737 and ended in 1880. The veins include Blue Level, Ellerbeck, Beever, Crosscut, Rider, South, Simpson’s, New Rake and No.3 Vein. The main features that remain of the mine include Beever’s Engine Shaft, the wheel house and one of the footways to the South West.
Extensive work was conducted by the Earby Mines Research Group and the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority to properly cap the shafts. On top of a large spoil heap, Beever’s Engine Shaft is now capped by a concrete ring with a thick metal grate across the top. You can look through the grate and observe the impressive circular shaft descend into the depths of the earth, with a dry stone walling collar holding back the loose shale. A couple of metres from the top of the shaft is a portal which was used to connect the pumping rods from the wheel house to the rocker at the head of the shaft. The rocker would transfer horizonal motion generated from the wheel house, to vertical motion down the shaft to the pumps at the bottom. The water would then be pumped up the shaft via iron pipes to the surface. You can still access the portal up to a small metal gate, and what remains of the rocker can be observed at the end of the short passage.
To the left of the portal is a well preserved Bouse Team (a storage hopper where material removed from the mine would be stored prior to dressing and smelting), and directly across from the portal is Beever’s Wheel House. Initially, the pumps at Beever’s engine shaft were powered by extending the rods from Cockbur Mine’s wheel house which is around 330 metres to the North East, however by 1837, a wheel house was constructed next to Beever’s Engine Shaft. Some of the wheel house is still standing, but the wheel is no longer present and the ground was heavily disturbed during the 1960’s when it was used to wash materials from the spoil heaps to recover barytes.
120 metres to the South West of Beever’s Engine Shaft is a “manway” or “footway” used by the mines to access the mine. The shaft is surrounded by the remains of a small building, and the shaft itself has been capped with metal grates. The shaft sinks approximately 15 metres to a boulder floor although this has not been measured and no passages can be seen leading off. Either the shaft has collapsed part way down, or there is a blockage upon which an amount of spoil has accumulated.